After a bit of waiting and a bit of drama our little Molly has finally made it to this earth. Happy, healthy and beautiful.
So if you've been keeping up with our blog you would see that I went 4 days overdue. By Saturday night I was starting getting stressed and because I was stressing I wasn't feeling the baby move as much as she had before. So then I got really scared. After calling the doctor and talking to my mom I calmed down and when I calmed down I felt her move again. Whew! I went to bed that night hoping and praying that she would just come. I didn't feel like going to church the next day where people would comment on how I had STILL not had the baby (I was emotional) and I didn't want to be induced on my wedding anniversary (our induction was set up just in case for Tuesdsay August 3rd) but even more than that I just wanted to hold my little baby and know that she was safe. So I went to bed praying. Before bed Jon downloaded a "contractions timer" on his Ipod so I could track my contractions. I woke up at 3:30pm with a contraction. I was just hoping that this was the real thing. I had another one 10 minutes later, and then another one 5 minutes later. Then they started 4 minutes apart. And they were getting kind of intense. I woke Jon up at 4:10 a.m. and said "I think this is it." He hopped in the shower, I did my hair (we wanted to look cute for pictures). We kissed our Lucy goodbye (Grandma and Grandpa were on duty) and took off to the hospital. It was SO foggy outside. Our hospital is 25 minutes away on the highway (we go to the one by Jon's school) so we could only drive 50 miles an hour. We called the doctor on the way and told him we were coming. When we got out of the car at the hospital, I had a contraction. It hurt so bad I squatted down between two cars and held on. Jon documented this with a picture. Once it passed we went in and checked in. By this time it's 5:35 a.m. The nurse checked me and said that my cervix was dialated to a 3 and that I was thin. I asked her if I could get an epidural in the next hour.
It was about 7:15a.m. by the time the dr. got there to give me my epidural and this is where the drama begins...
As the dr. poked around for a minute or two trying to get the epidural in. The best way I could describe it was it felt like she was shooting a cold marble down one side of my back and so I told her that it didn't feel right. She said ok and readjusted it. It then felt like a cold marble shooting down the left side of my back. I told her that didn't feel right either. She readjusted again only this time she hit a nerve...literally. I involuntarily jumped about a foot off of the bed as a shock went through my back and down all the way to my toes. I felt like I had recieved an electric shock. The dr. told me that I couldn't jump like that, that it could cause me harm. I didn't mean to. My body was just reacting to whatever had just happened. I still wanted my epidural but the dr. didn't know if she wanted to try again. (My back was turned to her so I couldn't see her face but Jon told me that she looked freaked out when my body jumped off the table, she said that had never happened to her before. Jon also told me later that when she pulled the needle out of my back it was all bent...) Jon was feeling faint watching this happen to me, so he had to sit down. I held onto the nurse and they finally got it in.
Anyway, I had been throwing up a lot so I asked for zophran to help with the nausea, (they gave it to me last time with Lucy and it was wonderful). So they told me that the would put that in my I.V.
About a half an hour later my Dr. came in with my nurse. I thought it was a bit early to see him but after he said hello he had a grim look on his face. He turned to me and said "A mistake has been made. You were given a medicine that we don't normally give to pregnant women. It can make the hole in the baby's heart close prematurely before birth." Uh....ok. Luckily I had peace in my heart that I knew everything would be ok. I was blessed by the Lord with reassurance because I am not sure how I would have reacted. They only gave me one dose of this medicine and so he said the chances of anything happening were minimal but the mistake had been made.
The medicine that was given to me was like a big motrin that they give to women AFTER they have the baby. Well, I think it had a sedative effect on me. I continued to progress to an 8 and then a 10 and I was falling asleep in between pushes! I could understand what was happening around me but I was so tired and so sensitive to the light that all I wanted to was close my eyes.
Then the nurse checked me. The baby was sunny side up. She had me turn over onto my hands and knees on my bed and hug my pillow. She was trying to get gravity to turn to the baby. She had me push a couple times in this position. After pushing and nothing happening I turned back over into a normal position and then...Molly flipped on her own! :)
I pushed for about 20 minutes and then when the dr. said, "One more push and you'll have a baby!" I took the cue and "plop!" out came our beautiful little Molly. My first reaction when I saw her was "I have had that baby before!" She looked a LOT like Lucy to me, except she has a head of dark hair like her daddy's!
She was beautiful and perfect! I held her and snuggled her for a bit and then got her all cleaned up. She was 7lbs 15oz and 21 inches. The dr. said that Jon should have left a little more cord on and we could have had an 8lb baby even.
Oh but the story doesn't end here.
The next morning I woke up with a massive headache. I was sensitive to light, my neck, shoulders, and chest were extremely sore, and my head pounded right behind my eyes. Jon diagnosed me with a having had a spinal tap from my traumatic epidural, they poked the barrier of the CSF and so I was leaking CSF which is in the spinal cord and brain. So the pressure was down and so instead of my brain floating it was half way lying on my skull. He ended up being right. My OB said it was that when he came to check on me at like 7:30. We ended up waiting all day for the anesthesiologist to come back down and do what they call a "blood patch". They take blood out of my arm and then inject it into the epidural sight, which raises the pressure on the CSF and its is fixed. The instant he did that I was cured! I could move my neck, head and shoulders and I could open the blinds! It was a miracle!
Anyway, that's the jist of it all. It was a little rougher time getting Molly here but we are certainly glad she could make it! :) Lucy seems to be fine with that fact that she is here. She will occasionally go up and give Molly a soft pat on the head or a gentle push in her swing but by and large life seems unchanged for Lucy so far...we'll let you know when those changes happen!
So life is good for the Javid family. We are so happy! Jon finished his last final on Friday and so now he has 3 weeks off to hang out with all of his girls! :) What a life!
7 comments:
Oh my trauma!!!! I am so so glad Molly and mommy are ok!! I would freak out at the doctor after he told me that they gave me the wrong medication...I would threaten with a lawsuit for sure! And then your epidural problem! What we mothers do to bring miracles into this world. I am so glad you have been "patched"!!! And that miss molly is doing well :)
PS. I can't believe you went through all that trauma, and you look THAT good! You're so lucky!
WHAT?!? Where's my first comment??? BAH. Now to try to remember what I wrote...
That is SO funny you said, "I've had this baby before" because that was my exact thought when I saw this top picture! She looks JUST like her big sissy! SO CUTE!
I'm SO sorry to hear about your labor/delivery complications! It's so scary cause you just never know what can happen! But I'm just SO glad that you and little miss Molly are both healthy and happy! Hooray!
We are thinking about your cute new family of FOUR tons and are looking forward to new posts and pictures...as time allows of course!! XOXO. :)
Well congratulations- she is a beautiful girl. Too bad it was a stressful delivery. I'm so glad you are okay, and I sure hope that "mistake" medicine doesn't do any harm to Molly. When you mentioned your insane headache after giving birth, it reminded me of when I had Daphne. I never had migraines until two days after I had her, and now I get them once a month. The things we go through for our kids....
What a beautiful little Molly and her Mom also. So sorry you had to go through so much trauma to get her here and am so glad you are both okay. She does look like Lucy but I see more of her mom in her than Lucy. Lucy looks so much like her daddy. So great that Jon has some time off to help with all of you girls. Love to you all.
Oh Steph she is beautiful!! Congratulations and I am glad everything worked out fine. I had drama with all three of my kids, as if just regular birth isn't drama-filled enough! I had that same headache problem when I had Vivian, but they decided to pump me full of caffeine and I ended up not needing a blood patch. Can't wait to meet Molly!!
Congratulations, Stephanie! Your girls are beautiful!
Post a Comment