Sunday, April 18, 2010

Easter Pictures

We took Lucy to her first Easter Egg Hunt! She likes the eggs but not the grass. We wanted her to crawl through and pick up her eggs but we ended up holding her, picking them up for her and then she would place them in the basket...it worked. We got her 5 eggs. Until some friends showed up late with their kids so we took her eggs (and the unlucky litles ones who's parents stayed to chat got their baskets raided too) and threw them back in the yard for the other kids to find. It was ok. Lucy kept a stiff upper lip!









This year, inspired by my friend Martha Stewart, we did a little something different for our easter eggs. We cut vinyl out into shapes on the cricut and then stuck them on our eggs and then dyed them. We did monogrammed eggs for everyone in the house and some other cute designs like Mickey and flowers. Lucy was more into eating animal crackers and playing with dad than dying eggs but we wanted to start her young on good Easter traditions.

Mickey Mouse Egg.

Our fancy eggs.

Jon's fancy "J" egg. This one was my favorite. He's so creative.

This was our drying rack. Straight pins and styrafoam. It worked nicely.


"L" is For Lucy! And that's good enough for me!

Hmmmm....does that taste good?


Dying eggs isn't my thing. I think I will just play with daddy.

Mmmmm...snacks.

The magical process.

HOT CROSS BUNS! HOT CROSS BUNS! Dadadadadadada HOT CROSS BUNS! Good Friday means HOT CROSS BUNS My grandma taught me how to make Hot Cross Buns a few years ago. And today, I made some. YUM. This is my childhood: My mom and grandma wirig making all sorts of homemade goodness while I sat at the counter and "helped" them. (most likely hindering them, but I had fun). Today after mixing the dough I caught a wiff of my childhood. Hot Cross Buns are orange rolls with currants and vanilla frosting with a pink crosses. (I think it's supposed to be red, but ours were always pink). Anyway I called my grandma while I was making them and she was making some for my mom's office. I had my dad take a picture for me so we could compare our Hot Cross Buns.
My Bun:

Grandma's Bun:

Vickie was out of town so I took on Easter dinner. I made my very first ham. Not that ham is really that complicated to cook but I felt a sense of pride! I made up my own glaze when I realized with 30 minutes left of baking that I forgot to get a glaze recipe. So if you want my recipe it coating the ham in mustard and then rubbing in brown sugar. TADA! It turned out really good though. We bought the smallest ham we could find (because it was only Mark, Jon, Me and Lucy) and we were eating ham for 2 weeks. I made vickie's yummy funeral potatoes, my grandma's homemade rolls, green bean casserole, my mom's cherry sauce for the ham, and my sister's spinach craisin salad. It is a rare, sweet feeling of success when the whole meal turns out really good and for this Easter meal it did!


These dressed up ones were actually on Easter Sunday because we went to church for general conference on Sunday morning.





















2 comments:

Tracie said...

mmmm hot cross buns! I did that for the first time this easter. They are a tradition in Chuck's family, except with cream cheese frosting instead and no red/pink crosses. So yummy! And sounds like a great job on Easter dinner, you are braver than I ; )

Michelle M said...

Your Easter eggs look AMAZING. You guys win the craftiest couple award by far.