Monday, May 11, 2009

It's easier to buy a gun than get a library card...

So I had an interesting experience today. Lucy and I decided to explore the world of imagination by going to get a library card. I thought it would be easy. Get a card, check some books out, read to my child... easy right? I think not!

After reseraching online to make sure that our local library had the books I wanted I googled some directions and headed out... Upon arriving, the Circulation Librarian informed that I would need a proof of address (a letter etc.) because I still have an out of state Driver's license and it does not have my current address on it...

Ok cool.

But I had to go back home to get it. So awhile later I grab a piece of mail and went back to the library. A new woman is there...she says "Oh well you do not live within the city limits and you can't have a library card from this library. You have to go to the this other library and then after you get it there you can use that card here.

Ok...coooooooool.

Later tonight Jon and I went to the this other library (it's the size of our living room). I walk in confident am armed with my ID and my letter from the State for proof of address. The lady looks at me and says that letter is not good enough. (A letter from the State is not good enough?) She told me I need a utility bill (we live with Jon's parents and don't pay utilities)...

Is all lost? Will my child be denied the wonderful world of books because I don't have to pay utilties at this point in my life? 3 rejections from the local libraries...it's too much for me. Is this the world we live in? When Jon and I bought several dollars worth of hand gun ammunition for my dad's birthday (for target shooting) they didn't even bat an eyelash...noone even asked for our ID. But getting a library card requires finger prints, blood test, and a utility bill.

4 comments:

Michelle M said...

You must have missed the flaming hoop jump on your way through the front door to the library! And this is why I haven't even bothered getting a library card... the library that has a nice play area for the kids is not in MY city, so I'd have to go to another one to get a card- too much work.

Jessica Nelson said...

Oh friend! I'm sorry! "For the love of Pete - Somebody get this woman a library card!" I ran into the utility bill thing here in Provo. Lame-o! Yeah- I think they're out to get us! We should start our OWN library and mail books back and forth to each other.

Stew said...

technically you bought ammunition, which is useless without a gun...

Kim said...

haha, I love it! That is totally what I went through in Provo! haha, just use your Mother-in-law's card if she has one!